What Is Beard Oil? And Why You Absolutely Should Be Using It
Beard oil is an essential beard grooming product. But what is it exactly? And what are the benefits of using beard oil? We cover that and more in this handy guide.
Most men don’t have medicine cabinets full of grooming products. Some guys might even call it good with a bar of soap and a plastic comb. But when it comes to beard grooming, that won’t cut it.
For a truly incredible beard, you need the right beard grooming products. And beard oil is one that’s absolutely essential.
Beard oil is a natural oil that’s applied to your beard daily. It helps to hydrate the skin and beard, soften the coarse hair follicles, and add a pleasant scent. Without it, your beard (and skin) will suffer! Dreaded beard itch is one consequence of not properly oiling up a beard.
Even so, most guys still aren’t sure if they need beard oil. And most don’t know how to use it.
Well, we’ve got you covered. We highlight some of the reasons you should be using beard oil, tips for how to use it, and give you a run-down of common beard oil ingredients in this guide.
So what is in beard oil?
Beard oil is a mix of essential oils and carrier oils. Carrier oils are natural oils that help to dilute essential oils, which would irritate the skin if not properly diluted.
Carrier oils are most commonly extracted from nuts and seeds. Argan oil and jojoba oil are both carrier oils that are common in hair and beardcare products. Both oils are revered for their natural hydrating properties. Other common carrier oils include aloe extracts, almond oil, and grapeseed oil.
Essential oils, on the other hand, are oils that are extracted from plants that capture the plant’s aroma. In other words, they capture the “essence” of the plant, hence the name. Essential oils help beard oils naturally deodorize, and most have pleasant scents like sandalwood or sweet orange.
What is beard oil used for?
You might be thinking: Don’t we already produce oils naturally? We do. But when you grow a long beard, you don’t produce enough oil.
After a certain point – about two weeks of growth – you don't produce the necessary amount of oil to properly hydrate your beard and skin. Your skin gets dry and itchy, as a result. That’s when you start to get beard itch.
Beard oil supplements what you produce naturally. And it completely eliminates common problems of growing a beard.
Key Benefits of Using Beard Oil
Think you don't need to be using beard oil? Think again! A high-quality beard oil provides numerous benefits for the bearded man. As mentioned, hydration and alleviating beard itch are two important benefits. But beard oil also helps to:
- Tame Your Beard: Beard oil is an essential styling product. It makes your beard more managable and trains your beard to grow in the same direction.
- Eliminate Beard-Druff: Beard dandruff happens when your skin gets so dry and itchy, that it starts to flake off. You'll notice beard-ruff on your shirt and shoulders. By hydrating the skin with beard oil, you'll prevent this pesky problem.
- Add a Dash of Freshness: Essential oils give beard oils subtle aromas that freshen up beards. Sandalwood, for example, has a soft, woodsy scent, while eucalyptus has a menthol-like aroma. A few dabs in the morning will give your beard a pleasant fragrance.
- Give Your Beard a Beautiful Sheen: One reason beard hair is so coarse and dull is that it’s dry. By moisturizing, you lock in moisture, which naturally makes your beard softer and gives it a healthy shine. You’ll also want to use a beard balm, which is great for conditioning and softening.
- Prevent Acne: A number of ingredients in beard oil help treat sensitive, acne-prone skin. Grapeseed oil, for example, is a natural astringent, that absorbs excess oil and tightens pores, while argan oil improves skin elasticity and increases cell regeneration.
- Stop Split Ends: Dry, dehydrated hair is prone to split ends. And once split ends occur, there's no way to reverse them. You'll have to trim your beard down to get rid of them. Oil helps to lock in moisture and, consequently, lock out split ends.
How to Use Beard Oil
Applying beard oil is a simple process. All you need is some beard oil, a beard brush or beard comb, and about 30 seconds of free time. Here’s a simple process for applying beard oil:
- Step 1: Put a small dab into your palm, about the size of a pea.
- Step 2: Spread the oil over both of your palms.
- Step 3: Rub the oil into your beard and skin. Start at your chin line and push the oil up into the beard. Try to spread it as evenly as possible.
- Step 4: Finally, use a beard brush or comb to help work the oil into your beard. Comb downward into the beard to spread it evenly.
4 Quick Tips for Using Beard Oil
You’ve got a better idea of what beard oil is and why you should be using it. Maybe you’ve even bought some beard oil and have given it a try. Here are a few beard oil tips that will help you get the best bang for your buck:
Use Beard Oil Daily: Applying beard oil should be a part of your daily grooming regime, and after a shower is the perfect time to apply it. Your beard and skin are most receptive to oil after a warm shower.
- Choose a High-Quality Beard Oil: A lesser-quality beard oil might contain synthetics or even chemicals, which can have a drying effect and can irritate the skin. Look for options that contain a mix of natural oils – argan, jojoban, and almond oils are some of best - as well as natural essential oils for fragrance.
- Use the Right Amount: Don’t overdo it! All you need is a small pea-sized dab of oil every morning. And you really only need to apply beard oil once a day.
- Use It With Other Beard Products: Beard oil works best with other beardcare products. A beard balm, for example, is a great natural complement that helps to moisturize and condition the hair. And a beard wash will help prep your beard for oil.
Say Goodbye to Beard Itch Forever!
Bottom line: Beard oil is a must in your medicine cabinet. It does so many great things like moisturize your beard and eliminate beard itch. Just as importantly, it gives your beard a nice, fresh scent. Without it, you'll be itching, flaking and wishing you never grew a beard in the first place.
Looking for high-quality beard oil? Shop our selection of beard oils now. Plus, Beard Reverence has all the beardcare products you'll need.